‘Queering Masculinities: The Antwerp Fashion Scene
Website and Application via: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/jobs/vacancies/ap/2017bapdocproex199/
The Faculty of Social Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Communication Studies for a
Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of gender and fashion studies
For the project ‘Queering Masculinities: The Antwerp Fashion Scene’, we seek a PhD student to investigate the role of Belgian men’s fashion in the redefinition of masculinities. We want to study how the creative practices of a cohort of designers from the ‘Antwerp fashion scene’ made an impact beyond the world of fashion, by presenting alternative versions of masculinity. In order to do this, we will analyse their collections, using archival research, visual analysis and interviews. More information on the project can be found here: www.uantwerpen.be/queering-masculinities.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of gender and fashion studies.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the Media, Policy & Culture research group, in the Department of Communication Studies.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in social sciences, media studies, gender studies or fashion studies.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You speak and write fluently in English.
- You have a strong affinity with the fields of fashion and gender and/or masculinity studies.
- You have experience in visual analysis and other qualitative methods of analysis.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of scholarship will be 1st October, 1st November or 1st December 2017 or January 1st 2018;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.280,27 – € 2.419,84;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 15th August 2017 and should include a copy of your CV, a cover letter, a research proposal (theoretical and methodological approach of this topic, max. 2p), and a sample of academic writing (previously written paper).
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place from 21st August until 15th September 2017.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Alexander Dhoest, +32 479 577226, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
PhD Opportunity – Queering Masculinities: The Antwerp Fashion Scene, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Categories →
- PhD OPPORTUNITIES