PhD Studentship: Luxury and Fashion
Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, UK
Location: Winchester School of Art
Closing Date: Thursday 15th February 2018
Luxury fashion implies cost, exclusivity, indulgence and excess and is typically understood as being constructed from the finest materials, involving a high level of craftsmanship, laborious production and often originating from a specific manufacturing location. Today luxury fashion is being consumed and produced on an unprecedented scale, but this very proliferation of luxury begs us to ask some important questions about fashion’s relationship to luxury. Alongside easily identifiable, branded luxury, exist other formulations and, indeed interrogations of luxury, so that we need to consider terms such as minimal luxury, conceptual luxury, sustainable luxury and even affordable luxury. Critical Luxury Studies looks beyond the tidal wave of monogrammed handbags to ask what is the relationship between luxury and excess: can luxury look like poverty and what is the role of craft in the production of luxury fashion? What are the relationships between luxury and innovation, luxury and novelty, luxury and technology? What can we learn from all of the historic prohibitions that have been levied against the conspicuous consumption of fashion? Have we now arrived at a moment where luxury and fashion now occupy completely different aesthetic and philosophical spaces?
Supervisors: Professor Jonathan Faiers and Associate Professor Yasmin Sekhon
- The successful candidate will start on 1st October 2018. The scholarship will offer full tuition fee and maintenance funding for 3 years. The doctoral stipend for 2017/18 is currently £14,000.
- This studentship is only available for full time programmes and is open to applicants from the UK, the EU and overseas.
- As part of the application you will be required to submit a CV, research proposal, degree certificate and transcripts, two academic references and proof of English language proficiency.
- The deadline for applications is 15th February 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Interviews of shortlisted candidates are likely to take place in w/c 19th March 2018.
- The awards will be allocated by end of April, with the outcome being communicated to the candidates in May.
If you wish to discuss any details of the studentship informally, please contact:
- Postgraduate Research Admissions, Faculty of Business, Law and Art, Email: email@example.com Telephone: +44(0)23 8059 2562.
To apply please follow the ‘Apply’ link on the following webpage:
PhD Fine Art/Design: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa/postgraduate/research_degrees.page
Please mention reference FBLA-ART-009 in the scholarship section of your application.
PhD Opportunity – Luxury and Fashion, Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, UK
- Categories →
- PhD OPPORTUNITIES